In search of inspiration

Ormos Vidhi is not far from the mooring buoy I hire in Poros, just an hour’s sail. I had wanted to go there for quite a while but the wind was too strong. There were two reasons for waiting for less wind. The first reason was that I wanted to send my drone up over the bay  and my Mavic Pro drone is quite sensitive to a strong wind. The second reason was that I also had to be able to pick up my mooring buoy when I came back and that is not easy to do alone in any sort of wind.
The weather forecast looked good so I set off in the morning in no wind at all so I motor-sailed over to the bay. My object of interest was a shipwreck that has been lying there for years. I had painted a watercolour of it a few years ago and wanted to give it another try from another angle. The last time I had filmed the whole work in progress but only published a few minutes of this on YouTube. This time I wanted to show more of the work involved painting the watercolour and also get some areal footage of the whole scene.
I dropped my anchor in 10 meters of water at a safe distance from the wreck. ( last time my anchor caught in one of the wrecks cables) From there I could take my dinghy over to take some close up reference photos.
Taking photographs of the wreck for later use as reference for paintings

 There was more rust on the hull than before and the original paint was almost gone but nevertheless the colours were beautiful. I filmed this little excursion with my GoPro action camera. It was either attached to the dinghy engine or on my head.
In order to send my drone up and safely retrieve it again I went ashore and pulled the dinghy up on the beach.
Manoevering my dinghy ashore between stones and pointed things

The heat in the sun there was almost unbearable and there was nowhere to stand in any shade. With the remote control almost burning my hands I wondered if it would work OK. When it had flown the over 400 meters to the wreck, I filmed for a minute before activating the Return to Home button. It disappeared from sight! I was convinced I would never see it again when there it was, suddenly hovering over my head. I got it down with an immense sigh of relief and headed back to Aquarella. 
Screen shot from the drone footage I took of Aquarella and the wreck



While the going was good I took the anchor up and motor sailed again back to Poros and my mooring buoy. There was quite a lot of wind when I got there and I missed the buoy the first time. I was determined to get it even if it might have taken 10 times. Round again, slow forward, starboard, port, reverse, missed again! 
Gritting my teeth , I tried once more and YES! got it on the third try. Mission succeeded!

No comments:

Post a Comment